DUNKED IN MANILA

Bill Fink's story of a year of work, basketball, romance, and other disasters in the Philippines

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Truth is Stranger than Fiction

I've had a few people suggest to me that I novelize my story, turn my Philippine experience into fiction, or at least one of those "based on fact" things. That way I could manipulate the story however I wanted, throw in some extra drama, whatever it might take to sell a few more copies.

A couple years ago I met Marc Salzman, author of Iron and Silk, which is a "year abroad" story in China framed with a martial arts theme (much as my year-abroad story is framed with a hoops theme). His book is a good one, and he managed to get it made into a movie. But when I met him, he was moping due to the movie's poor results. "Guess I needed more sex & violence," he told me.

I suppose I could turn my story into some sort of Rambo-type story of a hoops player fighting Al Qaeda in the jungles of Mindanao, (which actually sounds like it might be pretty funny), but given the already crazy nature of my experiences during my year in Manila, it wouldn't seem like I'd need to fictionalize things to create drama. If coup attempts, martial law, bombings, kidnappings, an earthquake, volcanic eruption, and having soldiers rob me isn't enough action to entertain the reader, then I should probably quit as an author. (click to read about one of my "just another night in Manila" scenes)


Besides, if I wrote about something like the Hobbit House, a bar in Manila staffed almost entirely by dwarves (photo to the left), and put it in a novel, people would tell me the story isn't believable. But in non-fiction, especially in the Philippines, truth is often stranger (and more entertaining) than fiction.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your site while doing a search for Philippines Basketball and I'm glad I did. Your stories have intrigued me. Having been born in the Philippines but growing up in the States (Washgington, D.C.) I've always had an interest in the lives of those who have lived or experienced life in the Philippines. I can recall my first visit back to the philippines in '01 (after 23 years) and remember playing ball in one of the provinces and recounting how much different the game is played there. Nonetheless, despite my roots, I still felt like an outsider playing ball with guys in their "tsinelas". Anyhow, your stories give me a little insight into the "game" (bball and life) there in the Philippines. I llok forward to reading more and sincerely wish you the best of luck in getting your book to the presses.

-Leo

Unknown said...

Hi, great story. Reminds me of my first time playing ball in Madagascar a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I'm in Manila now (I arrived last week) and am looking for a place to play. Any ideas? I heard there was a court near the zoo, which isn't too far from where I live (Pasay City).
Are you still in Manila?

Bill Fink said...

Hey Thomas,

Glad you enjoyed the story. And I'll bet you have some good tales from hoops in Madagascar.

I'm not currently in Manila, so don't know where the hot spots are to play ball, though usually if you just hop on the nearest court, you'll get invites to games elsewhere.

You can also check out http://katipunani.blogspot.com/ a blog by another American writing about Philippine basketball, he's currently in Manila, writes about some local games he plays.

- Bill