DUNKED IN MANILA

Bill Fink's story of a year of work, basketball, romance, and other disasters in the Philippines

Monday, December 31, 2007

People love squirrels


I recently published a Philippine travel story in the San Francisco Chronicle. I detailed exotic beaches, luxury hotels, kayaking, diving, hiking, rare river dolphins, history, politics, and gave travel tips. But what did all the readers write in about? The squirrel. My story talks about my seeing a recently discovered species of white squirrel on a remote island, and for some reason people across America emailed me to say that they, too, had seen white squirrels and/or chipmunks in their areas. Weird. Maybe I should write a squirrel book instead of a basketball book?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People always notice the most unexpected things. Did you see any "white squirrels" on New Year's Eve?