DUNKED IN MANILA

Bill Fink's story of a year of work, basketball, romance, and other disasters in the Philippines

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

basketball & basketbrawls

When I played in a basketball league in Manila, it seemed like every game I was elbowed, pushed and shoved without the referees calling a foul. When I complained, the refs basically said "it's ok, you're bigger than them, deal with it."
One day I lost my temper, flipped some guy on the floor, and a big shoving match broke out, with people screaming at me in Tagalog and Chinese. I didn't think it was a big deal until a week later, when some street kid I had never seen before pointed me out to his friends as "the American who fights everyone."

I realized then I wasn't just another player in the league, but willing or not, I was a representative for my country.

But at least my international sports brawl didn't turn out like this one in Japan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. I hope you will share other fighting experiences you have had on your travels.