DUNKED IN MANILA

Bill Fink's story of a year of work, basketball, romance, and other disasters in the Philippines

Monday, May 21, 2007

Romance in a nation of extremes

The Philippines is a country of extremes. You have the ultra-rich living in walled compounds, while the poor survive in the filth of shanty towns. The country has the beauty of white sand beaches, but also the toxic rivers and open sewage of Manila.

As a clueless American guy just out of college, women in the Philippnes represented the same set of extremes to me. They were either the prostitutes of the red light districts that I didn't want to have anything to do with (see left), or they were the ultra-conservative Catholic University girls who didn't want to have anything to do with me.

So imagine my surprise when the cutest girl at a college welcoming party invited me to her house one night, telling me her parents wouldn’t be home. In the U.S, this would have been a clear sign that there was going to be some romance. I should have been delighted. But this was the Philippines, and as usual, I had no idea what was going on.

-- to see how this turned out (think airball not dunk) click on this link to see a sample chapter from Dunked in Manila

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

geez thats what you get for trying to go out with holi-er than though sorority college ijits :) no offense. there are a lot of smart alec filipinas out there, i guess you just found yourself in the wrong pond. sorry. better luck with a wittier filipina next time!