DUNKED IN MANILA

Bill Fink's story of a year of work, basketball, romance, and other disasters in the Philippines

Monday, May 7, 2007

Sports as a window to cultures

The running theme in my Dunked in Manila book is the use of sports as a window into a foreign culture. I found the more I immersed myself in basketball in the Philippines, the better I understood life off the court.


I've enjoyed reading about the sports-travel-culture connection in a number of good books, including one on hoops (Big Game, Small World) one on soccer in Italy (The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro), and baseball in Japan (You Gotta have Wa - and in my recent SF Chronicle article).


Hopefully my book will get added to this small but growing pantheon of sportravelogues.


and for a sequel? How about loincloth volleyball in Burma?


1 comment:

G said...

Hi Bill, this is Gabriel. I run the Basketball Exchange Philippines website, the link on your sidebar.

I'm excited to read your book. Is there any chance I can get hold of a copy soon? Are you here in Manila btw?

Thanks a lot and I hope to hear from you. My email, if you'd rather reply via that, is ghmercado at gmail dot com.